Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Family is what it is about...



So, it is 2:00 a.m. on a Saturday night and I've spent the past few hours tossing and turning in bed unable to sleep. When I can't sleep. I think. My thoughts have been on my extended family back home in the mid-west and what a wonderful week and a half I spent with them over Christmas. The older I get the more living 2000 miles away is getting to be too far. But that's another topic for another time. This is about my family. Here are some of my thoughts:

Mom's hugs are the best, her tender heart and giving nature is the standard I hold myself to...and I miss her potroast dinners already!
Putting 1000 piece puzzles together as a family is a great way to gather everyone around the table and talk.
Taking walks with Dad around the courthouse square always helps me process where I am going and who I am.
Laughing with my brother Chris, and just being there for each other. We're closer now than we've ever been and that is so cool.
My sister....I am so grateful for...she is my "twin" and what a comfort that is in the deepest sense, even 2000 miles away we are still in sinc.
My step Dad Paul is such an angel! He even offered to let me drive his 1940s hot rod over Christmas! He makes the best chocolate milk shakes!
My step Mom Jill is always available for deep talks and a good laugh! Having dinner and talking about my most embarrassing moments was a hoot!
Zach, my nephew who has a huge heart....and Andrew, the little guy who always has a smile....what beautiful boys...and the time we spend always goes way too quickly...
John, my favorite brother-in-law who always gets a kick out of reminding me that I am "older" thank he is...by what was it John....44 days...hmmmm....John has the best Chicago accent and he always makes me laugh....he's my most vocal family member (besides Mom) when it comes to asking me to please move home....
Deb, my sister-in-law who is like a big sister to me....trading those jeans, and the "Shopaholic" books back and forth is a hoot!
Baby Kate's spirit warms my heart...she's an angel from above and such a blessing to our entire family.
Jon Jon (my little "mole man") is the sunshine and the energy that lights up my days and sweet little Anna who is gentle and calm....I miss our early morning snuggles , pillow fights, and playing our make-believe game of "Koby, Kai and Jasmin" (my cat and dogs in Utah) in my bed! (Even if it is only 7 a.m. and I'm half asleep!)
Grandma Humes' cookie platter and apple pies...
Toby, Mandy and baby Lucas warm my heart and make life fun.
Jenny, Larry, Amber and Ashley....I love their sweet Nashville accents...getting text messages from Ashley...Is Amber really going to college next year....
Rusty, Angie, Kelly and D.J.....Grace under pressure...D.J. is finally taller than me! Man, am I feeling old!
Micci, Jerry, Zoe and Max...Strength and endurance to overcome lifes trials....you are amazing...
Jessica, Andrew, Maddie and Grant...beautiful family...and Cassie and her family....



....the list goes on and on. Family, good memories, laughing, listening....boy do I ramble when I'm tired!

1 comment:

Alice said...

I have tears (of course) running down my face! What a beautiful essay!!! Thank you.
Love you!!