Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

As A Man Thinketh...

This past weekend was Easter Sunday. A time of renewal and rebirth. I found myself in bed nursing a cold most of the weekend, with plenty of time to read, ponder, and pray. I spent hours searching my scriptures, not really knowing what it was I was looking for...writing in my journal.... I learned a lot this weekend. I learned how important it is to be still...to be quiet...to listen.

When I was still, and quiet and listening, the one message that came to me repeatedly was "As a man thinketh, so is he." I had always interpreted this to mean if you think evil you are evil, and if you didn't than you weren't evil. Call me simple-minded! This weekend I really pondered what these words must mean in application to my life...and I learned, that what I dwell on, or think in my mind, is what either makes me happy or sad.

I am one who can think and rehash an event over and over in my mind to gain some sort of understanding of the whys and how comes of it all. Doing this can really drain me....and even get me depressed at times. This weekend just so happened to be one of those times where something had happened in my life that I just couldn't wrap my brain around and I kept thinking about it from every angle possible to try to understand it. Then those words "As a man thinketh" came to my mind and I thought about what I was spending so much energy and time thinking about. I wasn't thinking about something that was uplifting, but rather, I had been dwelling on a pretty negative and sad encounter I had had with someone.

I guess I had one of those "AH HA!" moments when I realized it was time to focus my thoughts on good, peace, love, and all that embodies these things, and let go of all the negative thoughts that were poisoning my heart and weighing my spirit down.

As a man thinketh, so is he....

No comments: