Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Miracles

I have a dear friend who told me the other day that she has finally decided how to use the journal my co-worker and I had given her. I was moved that she had waited for over a month to pondering and listening to her inner voice, waiting to decide what to use the journal for. She said she is going to use it to record the miracles that happen daily in her life. Wow! That really struck me. I thought how huge is it that she pointed out to me that miracles happen to us daily! So often we don't even notice! A few weeks ago I was impressed that what I focus on in my thoughts really determines my level of happiness and peace. How inspiring to focus my attention daily on the miracles around me instead of any negative things going on. What do we focus on in our mind on a daily basis? Are we focussing on the many many miracles around us?

A few months ago, I happened upon a book entitled "Seven Miracles that Saved America" by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart. Very rarely do I find a book that really grabs me and pulls me in like this book did. I love American history! I majored in History at BYU and was accepted into a graduate program in History, but changed my mind just before graduating and went back to finish my Elementary Ed. degree to become a teacher. This book takes an interesting angle towards our history. The theme that weaves throughout each chapter is how miracle after miracle have saved this country. Interestingly, some of these miracles happened against all odd and when all hope seemed to be lost. It is interesting to me how often Heavenly Father lets us struggle to the very verge of hopelessness and then allows things to fall into place, so to speak. As I read this book, I drew connections and parallels to my life. Many times I thought about my ancestors who lived through many of the events written about and wondered what they thought and felt at the time. I love this book because it testifies of miracles, and of what a special and chosen country we are living in. So often we forget. It is so important to learn our past...so we don't repeat mistakes, so we remember the sacrifices that have been made for us, so we understand that some of our freedoms and liberties took time and sacrifice to come to fruition, and so that we understand our connection to those who came before us. I hope they write more volumes to add to this book.
I started watching the History Channel's series "America: The Story of Us" tonight and it is a wonderful visualization of some of the events written in "Seven Miracles that Saved America". I can't wait to watch all of the segments!

Here's an interesting web page created on CNN's site. It shows photos of specific places in the past and present day side by side (and sometimes merged together). Very cool idea! http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/09/past.present.irpt/index.html

No comments: